It’s that time of year again, folks, where I regale you with my childrens’ swimming accomplishments. I do this not only to keep family and friends in the loop about our lives, but also as a chronicle to show my kids that they are, in fact, making progress.
So, sit back, get a drink, and read on.
Note: pictures are crap because I left my camera at home and had to take pictures with my cell phone, and my resident photographer, Sarah, is on a cruise this week.
This week our Greene Hills Gators swam against the Boars Head Swim Club. I’ve never been to The Boar’s Head, and my, it is an impressive place. It is a conference center, hotel, sports club, golf club, etc. The pool is lovely, with separate baby pool, round kids pool with slide, and rectangular 25m, 6 lane pool. It has many shaded spots, a playground, and a raised pool deck that is completely covered (and where we did our computer work for the meet). The parents were friendly, and we adults had a wonderful time working this meet.
They also had really, really good food!
But I digress.
As you may recall, both Master G and HRH swam with BASS this winter. Master G swam at many of the meets, while HRH just kind of practiced and played around. I honestly never thought she was paying attention, but apparently, she was. This was the first meet of the season for my kids, and they did exceptional. HRH swam in the following:
- 100 meter free relay (mixed boys and girls, 5-6 yrs old)
- 25 meter free
- 25 meter backstroke
Last year, her times at the end of the season for 25 Free and 25 Back were as follows:
- 25 Free – 53.06 seconds
- 25 Back – 58.50 seconds
This year, her times were:
- 25 Free – 48.65 Seconds. A drop of over 4 seconds!!! She placed 10th out of 20 swimmers
- 25 Back – 45.53 . A drop of almost 13 seconds!!! She placed 6 out of 13 swimmers.
I guess she must have paying attention. Who’ d have thunk it?
Master G took the spring off from swimming to focus on his LAX, and it doesn’t seem to have hurt him one bit. Looking back, his times at his last regular season summer meet were:
- 50 meter Backstroke – 56.06 seconds
- 50 meter Breaststroke – 1:09.50
- 100 meter IM – 2:25.80
This meet he swam four races, including one relay:
- 100 meter IM – He DQ’d on his backstroke turn, but would have had a time of 1:58.89 if it were a clean race. It was one of those early season mistakes – he is so used to swimming 50s and 100s, his brain thought he was swimming a 50 back and prepared for his turn accordingly. Unfortunately, it was an IM with a 25 back and his turn needed to be different. His time difference from last year is amazing – 25 seconds faster, and that is the most important thing!
- 50 meter Backstroke – 48.53, a drop of nearly 8 seconds! He not only won his heat, but came in 1st place (out of 5 swimmers).
- 50 meter Breaststroke – 1:04.62, a drop of nearly 5 seconds! He finished 6 out of 8.
I am very, very proud of my little fishies! They gave it their all, and that is what is most important.
And don’t forget – tune in for next week’s installment when we swim against Farmington Country Club at their pool – it’s a REALLY nice pool.